Friday, August 21, 2009

Why A Big Box Gym May Not Be Right For You

This is the true story of what happened to one of my bootcampers last year at a large, local gym. I asked if she would be willing to write down her experience and let me share it on my blog and this is what she sent me...


Last summer, my husband wanted to purchase a pilates ball, so I accompanied him to a sporting goods store. Outside of the store was an outgoing, very physically fit, young lady, greeting customers and handing out free passes to a (local) national fitness center. I took the passes and decided "this is it, I've got to do something"!

I called, and made an appointment to tour the gym. When I arrived, I was greeted by my "new best friend" who gave me a quick tour, and made an appointment for me to meet with my "personal trainer" so I could get started. I found the facility to be clean, big, and bright!

I was psyched, ready to get started. My NBF called me several times to keep my interest peaked, and told me she picked the best trainer for me. When I arrived to meet with my "personal trainer", I was greeted and introduced to a young man, almost young enough to be my grandson.

We reviewed my medical history, and I told him basically I hadn't exercised in over 20 years, had osteopenia, back problems, including C-Spine surgery, so I had some limitations. His plan of action was weight bearing exercise, (which my doctor also told me I needed to do).

He asked if I wanted to get started, I said sure. He took me to 4 machines, and had me do 3 sets of 15 reps at each machine, with no warm up, he said they don't do that. After the first set, I told him I couldn't do it, but he said he'd help me. After that torture, I was told to do 20 minutes on the treadmill and elliptical for my cool down. He told me I would be sore, but it would get better, and gave me a price list for additional physical trainer services.

At 4 AM the following morning, the pain in my arm woke me, it was very swollen and hot. I made a doctor appointment, and on my way out the door, my NBF called. I told her what happened, and never heard from her again! My doctor said I had a severe muscle strain, not to give up on exercising, but suggested I not go back there.

~Becky R.


Check back next time to read my thoughts about Becky's experience.

.

No comments: