Monday, July 7, 2008

You're Never Too Old

If you've been using the "I'm too old" mantra when it comes to exercise, you need to find a new excuse. Body & Soul has members in their 70s and 80s. Our oldest member is 92 and she's a regular fixture every Monday, Wednesday and Friday morning.

Now, 41 year old mother, Dara Torres, who already has 9 Olympic medals has become the oldest American swimmer ever on an Olympic team. Despite the fact that she sat out in '96 and '04, Torres will also be the first American swimmer to compete in five Olympics.





Last night she set an American-record time of 24.25 seconds in her favorite event, the 50-meter freestyle. It was the third time she had set the record in two days.

You can read about the amazing physical lengths Torres' goes through to maintain her competitive level here. Unfortunately, due to steroid use among people like Barry Bonds, Jose Canseco, Hulk Hogan, and Marion Jones (and no doubt some jealousy), there have been whispers about drug use.

To her credit, Torres met with Travis Tygart, head of the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency, and asked to be tested more often. She volunteered for a pilot U.S.A.D.A. program that will use more sophisticated blood and urine testing to look for doping.

Torres told Tygart, "Look, I want to be an open book. "DNA test me. Blood test me. Urine test me. Whatever you want to do. Just test me because I want people to know that I am doing this right."

Go, Dara!

No comments: