Tuesday, April 6, 2010

My Goal Is To Leave My Daughter Motherless

That's not what Donna Simpson would admit as her goal but that's the most likely outcome if she reaches it.

I don't make it a habit to judge people who are obese. People have all kinds of issues that may lead them down that path. They still have personal responsibility for their health but I certainly acknowledge the many factors that can affect someone's weight.

That being said, I take serious issue with this New Jersey woman who is trying to make the Guinness Book of World Records as the world's fattest woman.

"I'd love to be 1,000 lbs. It might be hard though. Running after my daughter keeps my weight down."

Just for the record, for Donna Simpson, keeping her weight down means tipping the scale at about 600 pounds.

Ms. Simpson is no stranger to world records. According to her, she already holds the title of the world's fattest mother after giving birth to her daughter in 2007. At that time, Ms. Simpson weighed 530 pounds and her high-risk cesarean birth took 30 hospital staff.

"Dieting just made me miserable because I was thinking about food all the time."

How is that different from what she's doing now? Calculating how many calories she needs to eat to hit her goal, turning herself into an eating sideshow to help pay her food bills. (To support her $750 a week grocery tab, she has a website where people pay to watch her eat.) It sure sounds like she's thinking about food all the time.

Whether she has private insurance or Medicaid, they should demand that she seek psychiatric help or drop her. She is purposely harming herself. She is already incapable of walking more than 20 feet and yet has made it her goal to add 400 more pounds to her body. That's like a smoker setting a goal to get lung cancer. This woman needs serious help.


"I love eating and people love watching me eat. It makes people happy, and I'm not harming anyone."

Tell that to your daughter, Donna. You're teaching her horrible nutrition and probably shortening her life by feeding her a junk food diet. Worst of all, she'll could easily end up growing up without a mother.

I first read about Donna Simpson a few weeks ago. After the first few articles came out, Ms. Simpson seemed to backtrack on the 1,000 pound goal. She now claims that...

"This is a fantasy of mine. It’s not reality, yet everyone takes this and runs with it."

Even "just" wishing to be the fattest woman in the world is screwed up. Why would any mentally healthy person fantasize about being even more immobile than they are now? Or more unhealthy? Or to have more people stare at them?

I really hope this woman gets counseling and soon.

1 comment:

Meg said...

I saw this on another blog I read and it made me sad. She obviously has a very bad relationship with food.

I'm finally at a point where food is not an obsession anymore--and my life is much freer for it.