Friday, December 3, 2010

Ditch The "All Or Nothing" Mentality

Yesterday, I was boasting on Body & Soul's Facebook page about two members who came to the gym to do an abbreviated workout even though one was injured and the other had been called in to work early. They get it! Either one of them could have blown off the gym entirely but they didn't. I was trying to encourage others to follow in their footsteps and ditch the excuses. Unfortunately, I didn't go into as much detail as above and the post was misinterpreted by some people.  

It's baffling to me that anyone would think I'd disparage an injured member for not doing a full workout but that's life on the internet. I definitely want members and boot campers to challenge themselves during their workouts but I STRONGLY discourage people from trying to push through injury or illness.

My members and anyone else who regularly read my posts, emails, blog, or newsletter know that I am not an exercise fanatic. In fact, I spend a lot of time encouraging people to break out of the "all or nothing" exercise mentality. Between this blog and Facebook, I've posted lots of "quickie" workouts that can be done at home when people are time crunched.

My philosophy is, and has always been, that regular exercise should be a lifestyle because it will improve your quality of life. Not because you want to be a size 0 or as punishment because you pigged out but because it will improve your physical, mental, and emotional health. You'll have more energy, be less stressed, and less likely to get sick. Regular exercise improves mood so you're less likely to get depressed. It reduces arthritis pain and stiffness. Your muscles will get stronger, making everyday activities easier- playing with kids/grandkids, carrying groceries, shoveling snow, taking the stairs, raking leaves, moving furniture, etc.

The holidays, especially, are a time when people neglect their fitness and it's a time when it's most important. 


We often overeat and experience increased stress or emotional issues. We have little problem making and keeping commitments to others but no one has an unlimited gas tank.


Taking care of yourself will make you a better mom / dad / volunteer / friend / spouse / employee. So, make a commitment to your health, even if it's just 10 minutes a day.

No comments: