Friday, April 26, 2013

Maybe Your Pink Dumbbells Aren't Really Pink

As I've mentioned before, the inspiration for naming my blog and my fitness boot camp came from a great Bill Hartman blog post, which you can read here ==> Too Much Pink

Back when I named them, it was rare to see anything other than very light dumbbells that were pink- one, two, maybe three pounds, but that was about it.

Nowadays, although I still don't see many heavier dumbbells in pink, there are kettlebells...


weight plates...

etc. that could get you into serious shape if used properly.

So, it's important to understand that when people refer to "pink dumbbells", it's not about the actual color of the weight; it's more of a shorthand way of referring to light, non-challenging resistance.

Although I've never been to a gym that had 10-pound pink dumbbells, I'm sure they're out there. Let me say again that it's not about the actual color. It's not even about the specific number on the weight you use; it's about the workload on your muscles.

It's all relative. A 5-pound weight may be enough resistance for a beginner or on certain exercises. The point is to challenge your muscles. As a general guideline, use a resistance you can only perform 6-10 times. Contrary to the "light weight, high reps to tone" myth, doing 25 repetitions using 3 pounds is not an effective or efficient way to achieve the body you want.

When you can do 10 reps with good form, increase the weight slightly at the next workout (this is where Plate Mates come in super handy if you use metal dumbbells). As long as you can perform at least 6 reps with the higher weight while using correct form, you're good. Then, just continue to increase your reps as you're able, until you reach 10. Once you can do 10 reps, repeat the process. For best fat loss and strength results, you should always be striving to increase your reps or your resistance (always with good form, of course).

So, as long as the weights you use challenge your muscles, don't worry about what color they are. (The 1-pound dumbbells at Body & Soul Fitness are blue.)

You think anyone's going to tell this woman she's not working hard?

If you're seriously interested in dropping body fat, getting fit, and reshaping your body, check out Rachel Cosgrove's new book Drop Two Sizes: A Proven Plan to Ditch the Scale, Get the Body You Want & Wear the Clothes You Love!or Craig Ballantyne's TurbulenceTraining program.


Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Collected Fitness Wisdom #56

Ditch the Barbie weights and lift to build muscle and rev up your metabolism. Do full body workouts combining weight training and cardio into circuit training for an excellent way to blast the fat that collects around your middle.

~ Sandra O’Hagan

So many people take pieces and parts from different magazines, their cousins-best friends-nephew who knows a trainer, the "fit" guy in the gym, the genetically skinny lady who eats anything she wants and insert your story here. Over the course of time you pick and choose the things you like (which also tend to be the least effective) and wind up wasting weeks, months and years without seeing the results you want.

~ Zach Marcy

It’s possible that no one around you really wants to see you succeed. No one wants you to miss gossip night or poker night because you have a new - and better - habit in your life. People may try to hold you down and the negative media discourages success while encouraging failure. So…you have to fight against all of these things to succeed, but if you believe in yourself then you will. Harsh, but sometimes true. Prepare yourself for this battle. Stay strong with your online social support and accountability.

~ Craig Ballantyne

The best way to reduce belly fat is controlling what foods you put in your Body. 80% of getting fit and staying there is food consumption. The other 20% is exercise… I tell my clients you want a six pack eat clean! Don’t eat anything from a bag, can or box. Eat unprocessed foods, Lean proteins, veggies, fruits, good fats and whole grains. Keep it balanced keep it clean.

~ Bryna Carracino