Thursday, March 27, 2008

I'd Rather Fight Than Switch

OK, I realize that I'm really dating myself with that title. How long has it been since cigarettes were advertised on TV and does anyone even remember Tareyton? Amazing what you can remember from your cradle, huh? ;-)

Anyway, if you'd rather fight (or whine) then switch to a new workout routine, you need to keep reading.

Yesterday, one of my gym members asked me for a new workout card because her's was full. She gets brownie points for faithfully recording her workouts but a big, fat demerit for asking for a new card rather than a new routine. :-(

Sometimes my older members are not as quick to change their routines as I'd like but this lady had been doing the same exercises for 3 1/2 months - way too long. We discussed it and scheduled an appointment on Monday to go over a new workout. Demerit rescinded. :-)

If you have been doing the same strength training routine for more than 4-6 weeks, it's time to switch things up. Our bodies adapt to doing the same exercises over and over and although you will still get health benefits, you'll get better fitness and fat loss results from changing regularly.

For example, if you've been doing Pulldowns for your lats (upper back) switch to D.B. Rows. Pushups can be substituted for the Chest Press or Pec Flye machines.

If you're not experienced in weight training, get some professional guidance. Besides changing your exercises, you want to make sure that you are working your opposing muscle groups evenly (barring injury or muscle imbalances).

.

No comments: