Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Machines vs. Free Weights - The Discussion Continues

If you've spent any amount of time on exercise related websites, I'm sure you've read that strength training machines are safer and/or the best option for beginners.

Unfortunately, that's just more fitness misinformation that keeps people from getting the results they want. You can put that nugget of "wisdom" in the same file as the fat burning zone, low weight / high reps to tone and boring hour long cardio sessions for weight loss.

I am not totally anti-machine but the longer I've worked in this field and the more educated I've become, the fewer machines I use. Check out the link below for a great article on the subject. If you're not interested in the history of how people came to believe that machines are "superior" to free weights, scroll about half way down to read why they are not your best option.


Dark Side of Strength Training Machines
by James Wilson

.

No comments: