Thursday, January 17, 2008

Stop Holding On To The Treadmill

Between new workout programs for clients and getting new Body & Soul members started, I haven't had time to write anything for this blog. However, I didn't want to neglect you so I'm posting links to good articles that address an issue that's been popping up lately.

One of my new members told me last night that at her previous gym she usually walked on the treadmill at an incline. When I asked her if she held on, she admitted that she did. Today I ran across a thread on Spark People about the same topic and if you watch The Biggest Loser, you saw Jillian Michaels mention it on Tuesday.

Jillian specifically advised against holding on when you exercise because it lowers the number of calories you burn.

Decreased calorie burn is definitely an issue but there are many more reasons to walk on the treadmill the same way you walk normally, which doesn't include holding on to handrails.


Check out these articles by Lorra Garrick:

Stop Holding on When on the Treadmill

Top 17 Excuses for Holding on to the Treadmill

No comments: