Sunday, April 11, 2010

Collected Fitness Wisdom #19

Think about the foods you are about to consume. Are they going to bring you closer to your goal? Or will they make you feel like crap and take you farther away from what you want? Yeah I know that when you were younger, before you had kids, you could eat blah de blah de blah and not gain weight. Too bad - times have changed. And I know your friend can eat whatever he or she wants and is in great shape. Yay for them, sucks for you. But no amount of whining will change the fact that you need to work to get your butt in shape.

~Alwyn Cosgrove


Now if you really want to end up hobbling around in a body bandaged up with joint problems, tendonitis, and excess body fat, then by all means, continue trying to "isolate" body parts. On the other hand, if you would rather have a lean, muscular, injury-free, functional body that works as a complete powerful unit to perform complex movements (in athletics or even everyday tasks), then you need to shift your focus away from muscle isolation.

~Mike Geary


When I’ve got a case of the “but I don’t wanna’s” I generally remind myself that I have never regretted a workout, but I always regret it when I skip one. The reality is, I always feel better physically and mentally on days I work out than on days I don’t, so skipping a workout because I am having “blah” day just makes the “blah” day worse.

~Caroline Fitzgerald


Weight loss is subjective. Women live and die by what the scale tells them. If they don’t see the number on the scale going down, they’ll feel as if they’ve failed. It’s unfortunate because they often fail to see the big picture. Someone will bust their butt for eight weeks, and lose eight lbs of fat, and gain four lbs of lean muscle.

In my book, that’s fantastic progress. She’s stronger, feels like a million bucks, not to mention her clothes fit more loosely. Yet, she’ll jump on the scale and only see that she’s lost four net lbs, and feel like it was all for not.

~Tony Gentilcore

.

No comments: